In case you couldn’t tell, we LOVE to travel!! So, we just couldn’t help but put together a list of the 50 Most Awesome Things About Travel.
1. The sound of the seatbelt “click” on the airplane, at the start of your next great adventure.
2. Wearing nothing but flip-flops for weeks on end, having left all the socks you own behind.
3. Waking up early because your body is ready to, not because your alarm is screaming for you to get to work.
5. Watching the sun set…and actually caring if it’s a good one or not.
6. Reading, because you never have the time to do it at home.
7. Eating something you would “never in a million years” eat at home. (Read Dogs, Frogs, & Snakes….Oh My!)
8. Never having to check the local weather, because you know it’s always the same. HOT!
9. Checking the weather at home to find that it’s just as cold as you left it.
10. Bargaining the heck out of something to save yourself just 10 cents. When dealing in thousands, 1000 Rp in Bali seems like so much more than the dime it’s worth. (Read How to Bargain Like a Pro in Bali)
11. Getting a haircut far shorter than you ever imagined, because the “hairdresser” thought your pinched fingers together meant “leave a little”, not “just a little off the top”.
12. Walking EVERYWHERE! And having the blisters to prove it.
13. Being overwhelmed by the wall of heat as you step outside of your hotel in the morning. Then retreating to a 7-Eleven for a cold drink. (Read 5 Reasons Why We LOVE 7-Eleven in Thailand)
14. Getting a new stamp in your passport! And then getting more!
15. Not caring that your train is an hour late getting in, because you have nowhere to be.
17. Buying something that would cost you at least 5x more at home.
18. Buying 10 of something that would cost you at least 5x more at home.
19. Eating the real deal rather than the imitation stuff at a mall back home (i.e. Phở, Pad Thai, Nasi Goreng).
20. Feeling like a teenage girl in love while watching Asian boy bands on local TV. See C.N. Blue - LOVE
21. Sweating non-stop, because the weather is just so fantastic!
22. Sand in between your toes, because you never have that problem at home (unless you’re fortunate enough to live by a beach).
23. The oh-so-familiar smell of Asia as you step off of the airplane.
24. When the hardest decisions of the day are how long to spend at the beach and then where to have dinner.
25. Coming back to your hotel to fresh sheets and towels, and finding your once messy clothes neatly arranged.
26. Taxi rides. They’re fast, dangerous, and always unique!
27. Smelling the Hawaiian Tropic for the first time on the trip.
29. Witnessing the everyday religious rituals that the locals take part in. And then taking part in it yourself.
30. Flowers. Pretty flowers. And stopping to smell them!
31. Eating fresh fruit at breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
32. Making friends with the locals.
33. Hanging out with your new local friends at the hottest local joints in town.
34. Doing something you wouldn’t normally do at home just so you can say you did it.
35. Doing what you do for fun at home, but in Asia. Like going to a movie!
36. Hitting the road on a scooter, and not being afraid to ask a police officer for directions.
37. Skyping with family and friends back home. Not to make them jealous, but to hear about what’s new with them!
38. Cheap beer. Anytime. Anywhere.
39. Massages, pedicures, and manicures on the beach.
41. McDonalds. While it’s not local, it provides comfort when you need it the most.
42. Sitting and watching. Anything and anyone.
43. Street meat. Nothing says yum like meat on a stick.
44. Shopping, shopping, and shopping. (Read Rainbows & Sunshine – Shopping @ Bangkok’s Platinum Fashion Mall)
45. Mosquito bites. Because it’s just not possible to get one in Canada in December, and having one means you’re in paradise!
46. Trying to speak the local language, and embarrassing yourself terribly.
47. Being caught in a rain storm.
48. Getting off the beaten track. (Read Trekking? Really?! – Kalaw to Inle Lake)
49. Not having to work.
50. Simply arriving!